Consuming a healthy diet of nutritious foods and beverages is essential to maintain a proper weight and helps fuel your immune system. Supporting your immune response increases your body’s ability to fight off bacterial, fungal, and viral infections like the new coronavirus.
Nutritious immune-boosting foods include the following:
- Sweet potatoes—These orange tubers are not even closely related to regular potatoes and their nutrient profile is much higher. They are an abundant source of beta-carotene.
- Rhubarb—This herbaceous perennial is chock full of phytochemicals, vitamins, and minerals. It is also an excellent source of fiber.
- Oranges—Citrus fruits like oranges are high in vitamin C and antioxidants.
- Brussels sprouts—These tasty morsels are from the cabbage family and originated in Belgium in the sixteenth century. They are very rich in calcium and are an excellent source of vitamin C.
- Pomegranates—The red and purple pigments found in this and many other fruits are created by compounds called anthocyanins that are high in antioxidants and have excellent anti-inflammatory capabilities.
- Red currants—These also contain high amounts of vitamin C and also have vitamin K.
We want you to keep your body healthy, and for all your foot and ankle problems be sure to contact your foot doctor. You can count on the foot doctors at Foot & Ankle Specialists, PC to provide fast relief for your aching feet using a full range of both conservative and surgical therapies. Our expert team, including board-certified podiatrists Dr. Scott E. Hughes, Dr. Greg P. Vogt, and Dr. Christine I. Tumele, serves patients of all ages with state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment technologies including onsite digital x-ray, ultrasound, diabetic shoes, and digital scanning for custom orthotics. For any questions or to make an appointment, please contact us at one of our Southeast Michigan facilities in Monroe (734-241-0200) and Lambertville (734-856-8900) (Bedford and Monroe counties). We also offer convenient house calls Monday through Thursday, so give us a call!